⚠️ Instrument Rating Examiner Revalidation ✈️
Instrument Rating Examiner certificate is valid for 3 years (36 months). If you are a IRE(A) certificate holder, most likely you are also holder of at least one qualification of Class Rating Examiner - e.g. CRE SEP(land). If you would like to revalidate your Examiner certificate for next validity pattern, you have to comply with requirements of Part-FCL.
Good news for you is that if you fulfill the revalidation criteria for IRE(A), your CRE SEP(land) will also be revalidated.
IRE(A) revalidation requirements
The revalidation criteria for all of the examiner certificates issued in accordance with Part FCL are subject of FCL.1025 and at the same time they are very similar.
To revalidate Instrument Rating Examiner certificate, you have to comply with all of the following conditions:
- before the expiry date of the IRE(A), have conducted at least six skill tests, proficiency checks or assessments of competence;
- in the period of 12 months immediately preceding the expiry date of the IRE(A), have completed an Examiner refresher course;
- one of the skill tests, proficiency checks or assessments of competence shall take place in the period of 12 months immediately preceding the expiry date of the IRE(A) certificate and shall:
- have been assessed by an inspector from the competent authority or by a senior examiner; or
- comply with the requirements in point FCL.1020 (Examiner Assessment of Competence).
In the past the Part-FCL specifically mandated all examiners to administer at least 2 checkrides (skill test, proficiency check or assessment of competence) in every year of the IRE(A) certificate validity period. Nevertheless this requirement has been shifted and you as a holder of IRE(A) have to conduct 6 checkrides in total within the validity period.
IRE Cross credit
As mentioned above - you hold privileges for more than one category of examiner - e.g. IRE(A) with CRE SEP(land) and even TRE B737, all examiner privileges may be revalidated. However these procedures may slightly vary among the competent authorities. So the revalidation of Examiner multiple roles shall be done in agreement with the competent authority.
IRE(A) validity pattern
Validity of the EASA Flight Examiner certificate in accordance with FCL.1025(a) is 36 months (3 years). The validity of the IRE(A) certificate can be again revalidated 12 months prior expiry date with keeping current expiry pattern.
✅ IRE(A) validity example - normal pattern
Instrument Rating Examiner - IRE(A) certificate is valid until 30 SEPTEMBER 2022 and you have fulfilled all revalidation criteria on 02 OCTOBER 2021.
- New expiry date: 30 SEPTEMBER 2025
- Reason: Revalidation done within period 12 months preceding the expiry date
✅ IRE(A) validity example - shortened pattern
Instrument Rating Examiner - IRE(A) is valid until 30 SEPTEMBER 2022 and you do not meet the revalidation criteria, however you have passed your CRE MEP(land) assessment of competence on 01 APRIL 2022.
There are two possible scenarios applied by Authorities:
- Different expiry dates:
- IRE(A) valid till 30 SEPT 2022
- CRE MEP(land) valid till 30 APR 2025
- Equal expiry dates:
- IRE(A) valid till 30 SEPT 2022
- CRE MEP(land) valid till 30 SEPT 2022
✅ IRE(A) validity example - renewal required
Instrument Rating Examiner - IRE(A) certificate is valid until 30 SEPTEMBER 2022 and you have fulfilled all revalidation criteria on 01 OCTOBER 2022.
- Your CAA will most likely reject your application and void the assessment of competence
- Reason: IRE(A) has expired and you need to attend renewal procedure provided by flight school (ATO) or by competent authority