⚠️ Who is SFE Cessna Citation ✈️
Simulator Flight Examiner for Cessna 525 or SFE C525 or simply SFE(C525) commonly known as Citation SFE is a certificate authorizes the holder to provide skill tests and proficiency check on specific variants constituting into common EASA typerating Cessna 525 Citation in simulator only. It means that all the checkrides SFE can do can only be done in simulator. SFE is not allowed to do any checkrides in Cessna 525 aeroplane. Obviously, your SFE C525 does not cover the privileges of TRE C525, nevertheless the privileges are basically equal.
That is actually not causing any problems. Majority of the checkrides towards multi pilot aeroplane are done in simulator anyway. So your privileges as SFE C525 will be the same like the privileges of C525 limited to simulator. In this case, there is literally no operational difference between TRE C525 FFS only and SFE C525.
Advanced privileges of SFE C525 are also to provide assessments of competence towards TRI Cessna 525 and SFI C525.
Before obtaining the Simulator Flight Examiner Certificate on Cessna 525 the future examiner has to attend certain training driven by flight school or directly by competent authority. Privileges of SFE C525 also include the initial ATPL(A) skill tests and MPL(A) skill tests associated with Cessna 525 type.
Once obtained, you will be allowed to let the pilots fly on famous rocket - Cessna 525 Citation series. This will also include top-end variants such as Cessna CJ4, Cessna M2, Cessna CJ3+. Isn't that awesome? ❤️
Cessna 525 SFE ✅ assessment of competence
SFE Assessment of Competence - is a checkride with Senior Examiner - Senior TRE or SFE C525 required to attend to gain the SFE Cessna 525 certificate. As required by FCL.1020 applicants for an Simulator Flight Examiner certificate shall demonstrate their competence to an inspector from the competent authority or a senior examiner specifically authorised to do so by the competent authority responsible for the Simulator Flight Examiner certificate through the conduct of a skill test or proficiency check in the SFE role for Cessna 525 type rating, including:
- conduct of the typerating skill test or proficiency check
- assessment of the person to whom checkride is given,
- debriefing and recording documentation.
Requirements ✅ for SFE Cessna 525
Iaw FCL.1010.SFE, an applicant for an SFE C525 is considered to be holder of Simulator Flight Examiner certificate for single pilot high performance complex aeroplanes.
He has to hold or have held an airlline transport pilot license - ATPL(A) or commercial pilot license - CPL(A) annd a type rating for Cessna 525. Applicant has to obviously be an SFI C525 certificate with experience of at least 500 hours of flight time as pilot of single-pilot aeroplanes.
For the initial issue of an SFE certificate, applicant shall have completed at least 50 hours of synthetic flight instruction as a TRI C525 or an SFI C525.
C525 SFE training
The examiner training is called Examiner standardization and required by FCL.1015. An applicant for an Simulator Flight Examiner certificate shall undertake Simulator Flight Examiner standardisation course. The standardisation course consists of theoretical and practical instruction and usually includes following:
- the conduct of 2 skill tests or proficiency checks for the Cessna 525 type rating;
- instruction on the applicable requirements in this part and the applicable air operations requirements, the conduct of skill tests or proficiency checks and their documentation and reporting;
- a briefing on the national administrative procedures, requirements for protection of personal data, liability, accident insurance and fees.
- a briefing on the need to review and apply the items when conducting skill tests or proficiency checks of an applicant for which the competent authority is not the same that issued the Simulator Flight Examiner certificate; and
- an instruction on how to get access to these national procedures and requirements of other competent authorities when needed.
The competent authority may provide the Simulator Flight Examiner course itself or through an arrangement with an ATO.
The course should last at least 3 days, divided into:
- theoretical training (1 day) and
- practical training in an FFS conducting real or role-played proficiency checks, skill tests or assessments of competence (at least 2 days).
The competent authority or ATO should determine any further training required before presenting the candidate for the examiner assessment of competence with Senior Examiner.
Since the examiner privileges are to include the conduct of proficiency checks for the revalidation or renewal of an instrument rating, practical instruction should include the conduct of at least four instrument check profiles in the role of examiner. This training is conducted in the aircraft if approval for testing or checking in the aircraft is required. If examiner privileges in both FSTD and aircraft are required, at least one of the instrument check profiles should be conducted in an FSTD. The training includes:
- conduct of the skill test and proficiency check, assessment of the applicant to whom the test or check is given,
- debriefing and recording or documentation under the supervision of an examiner of the appropriate category on the applicable type.
Extension of Examiner privileges ✅
For extension of an examiner certificate to further types (as required for TRE), further practical training on the new type may be required, consisting of the conduct of at least one test or check profile in the role of examiner on the new type, including briefing, conduct of the skill test and proficiency check, assessment of the applicant to whom the test or check is given, debriefing and recording or documentation under the supervision of an examiner of the appropriate category on the applicable type. A further examiner check on the new type may be required, which may be supervised by an inspector of the competent authority or a suitably authorised senior examiner.
Privileges of SFE on Citation ✈️
In accordance with FCL.1005.SFE - the privileges of Simulator Flight Examiner - SFE C525 are exactly the same like TRE C525, namely to conduct:
- skill tests for the initial issue of Cessna 525 typerating;
- proficiency checks for revalidation or renewal of Cessna 525 including type-related Instrument rating;
- skill tests for ATPL(A) issue on C525 and all its variants;
- skill tests for MPL issue on Cessna 525, provided that the examiner has complied with the requirements in FCL.925;
- assessments of competence for the issue, revalidation or renewal of a TRI C525 or SFI C525, provided that they have completed at least 3 years as a SFE - including TRE (any type) and have undergone specific training for the assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.1015 (b).
Validity of SFE C525 series
In accordance with FCL.1025(a), Simulator Flight Examiner certificate is valid for 3 years. Examiner's certificate can be revalidated within 12 months immediately preceding the expiry date. If you are a holder of more than one category of examiner - e.g. you are holder of SFE C525 and TRE CL65 with FE(A), all examiner privileges may be revalidated if you comply with the requirements laid down in points FCL.1020(b)(1) and FCL.1020(b)(2) and point FCL.1020 for one of the categories of examiner certificates held.